Family

Family

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Refined by fire

I want to share this scripture with you this morning because it captured my heart and spoke to me on so many ways. I sometimes forget all of the bad that was associated with infertility, all of the grief, trials, tears, disappointments, and loss. I want to forget all of that and dwell in the joy that I am living in now. This spoke to that trial in my life, as I'm sure it can to SO MANY other trials that you may face. Let us not forget. Let us be refined, genuine, and come out praising, glorifying, and honoring our Lord.

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire- may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."
1 Peter 1: 6-7

Suffer grief in all kinds of trials
The most significant trial in my life to date was a 6 year battle with infertility. As a 30 year old, I am CONFIDENT that it is not my last battle. I know that there are others out there still suffering and I hope that they can grab on to this scripture, to the fact that God loves them SO MUCH, and know that God has a plan for them. In my darkest days of infertility, I thought that God was punishing me by denying me children. In the verse 9 after this scripture, Peter talks about receiving the "goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." How was I missing such a huge GOAL that God has planned for me by focusing on my wants and desires for a child. I love my babies, but my salvation??? Nothing is sweeter or better than an eternity with God.

Faith- worth greater than gold
What is greater than gold in our lives today??? Sometimes it's stuff. Sometimes it's people. I am guilty of putting my family ahead of even Jesus or my relationship with him. My faith took a HUGE hit during the years of infertility because I was treating God like a service. I put in prayers, He failed to deliver children. He was mean and I was hurting. Looking back, I am so thankful to have a father who was PATIENT, KIND, LOVING, and took the time to wait on me. To love me in my ugliness. To hold me and comfort me as I cried. To VALUE my salvation over rubies and diamonds, even when I couldn't see it. How amazing is this precious FAITH that has grown leaps and bounds!!!

Refined by fire
Fire burns. It hurts. Trials are not meant to be pleasant. They will hurt. Sometimes a lot. Some trials last a long time. Six years for me was an eternity. I think it's ok to have suffering during trials, otherwise why would the reference to fire be made. I have never hurt so much as I did watching friend after friend, sister and cousin, everyone I knew have babies before me. I hurt. I cried. I ached. My husband's shoulder was wet every night in those years. Yet in all the tears and all the darkness, God was working. He NEVER left my side. He was quietly there refining me. Drawing me closer. Working with me. Through me. It hurt. A LOT. But most work does.

May be proved genuine
God wants to know that we have genuine faith in him. Not superficial. Not the kind that comes and goes. Not the kind that praises when things are good and turns our back when things don't go our way. Genuine faith. The kind that moves mountains. The kind that praises in the storm. The kind that says "God you are in control of my life, my children, and my desires."

May result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed
We are not called to be quiet. We are called to PRAISE! GIVE GLORY and HONOR to our Lord and Savior. I can honestly say that we went through the fire. We went through trials. We were beaten and broken. That is not something to forget. That is not something in the past. That made us who we are today. It brought us closer to the feet of Jesus and to the goal of our faith...salvation. May we never stop praising our Lord for what he has done! Everything little thing that Tucker and Adelyn do and say brings glory to our savior. He is the one who blessed us with the precious loves. May we always praise him, all the days of our lives.

My prayer this morning is that as you walk through trials, whatever they may be, that you allow God to refine your heart and, in turn, give all praise, glory and honor to him. If that trial be infertility, know that I am praying for you each and everyday. And that God is faithful and he will grant you the desires of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment