Family

Family

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Our first ten days...

Hello to all! What a whirlwind the past 10 days have been! Our lives have been completely changed in an instant and we are just finally feeling like we have our feet underneath us. I am currently enjoying a quiet house with two sleeping babies while Derek is at the grocery store. I know that this blog will probably be an all day adventure because it takes awhile to get pictures loaded...but I figured I am finally feeling a little bit more rested.

I wanted to update everyone on the past ten days and let everyone know just how AWESOME our God is. Tucker and Adelyn are by far the BEST gifts God could have ever given us! They are most definitely worth the wait! God took His time on them to make them as sweet and perfect as they could possibly be. To say that we are in love is an understatement. We are BLESSED beyond belief and I still feel like I have to pinch myself sometimes. I prayed and prayed for a baby for so many years and God completely overwhelmed me with His goodness. I feel extremely undeserving, yet so thankful that these two get to call me Mommy!

Derek said it perfectly the other day...the past days have been the best and the HARDEST of our lives. The first week was probably the most overwhelming. We spent three nights in the hospital and got to come home last Saturday. Since we have been home, we have been trying to figure out feedings, laundry, sleep, having visitors, exploding diapers, and the list goes on and on. The last few nights have been much better in terms of feeding and sleeping and we actually have been able to semi-function again. Who knew babies could be so complex...haha! But in truth we are LOVING every minute of it...even the exploding diapers...haha!

Here's a little recap on all the things that have been happening-

The Birth
March 6th was our scheduled c-section for the twins. Derek and I were suppose to be at the hospital at 6:00 for an 8:00 procedure. I hardly slept a wink the night before, and Derek spent the whole night snoring away...haha! We got to the hospital on time and I immediately went to my room and changed into a gown. I was nervous about two things on this day...the IV and the epidural. Thankfully, God blessed us with the BEST nurse ever (Dana) who has known me my whole life. She put me completely at ease and did my IV AND took two things of blood without me ever knowing. The waiting part was the very hardest part of the whole day. We had to wait for the procedure ahead of us to finish, I had to wait to get my epidural, Derek had a LONG wait while they took me back, and then we had to wait for Derek to come. The epidural went pretty smoothly! Dana's daughter Paige, who was Adelyn's nurse, and Dana stood on either side of me and I had Paige tell me all the details of her wedding to get my mind off of things. It worked well. Once the epidural was in effect, everyone in the room got extremely active and busy preparing. Before I knew it, Derek was walking in and sitting by me. Sweet Miss Adelyn was born at 9:09 and Tucker Boy followed at 9:11. I got to see Tucker immediately all gooey and everything, but Adelyn was taken to the bed first because she had a little bit of fluid in her lungs. It didn't take long for them to have them all bundled up and and laying on my chest for me to meet them. After that, they took them away to close me up and begin all their checks on the babies. We were reunited very quickly in recovery when I actually got to hold my babies for the first time. It was the most surreal and wonderful feeling I have ever felt in the world. I knew them already, loved them already, but was so excited to feel them outside my tummy for once! The process of pregnancy and birth is SO amazing and I was so glad they were here!

PROUDEST DADDY EVER!
A little out of it...but completely happy!

Adelyn sucking on Tucker's fingers when they got out!

Hospital Stay
After we got all cleaned up and recovered, we got moved to a room on the third floor where we stayed for three nights. The hospital stay was not bad at all! It was kinda nice to have nurses and help there whenever we needed it. Everyone LOVED the twins and kept saying how good they were doing. Every test turned out great, every check was good, and the twins were really behaving good. They rarely cried, loved being swaddled, and loved to sleep together. I spent most of the first day in bed, trying to recover from the c-section. I finally got up that evening and was able to walk, get my IV out, and move around. I was very slow in the beginning, but each day at the hospital got better. The worst part was the insane amount of swelling I had from fluids given during the c-section! So miserable! I was discharged on Friday, but the pediatrician wanted Tucker and Adelyn to stay one more night so we did not go home until Saturday. We were very thankful to have one more day to get used to taking care and feeding two before we went home, but we were SO GLAD to finally be home! Sleeping in our bed never felt so good...even if we only sleep in two hour slots!

Ready to go home!

Our family of four...heading home!
Schedules
 Tucker and Adelyn have both been breast-feeding since day one and our lives revolve around their
eating schedule! With two to feed, it takes some coordinating and team-work to get it all done. The babies nurse one at a time, which takes about an hour total of eating, diaper changing, and hopefully going back to sleep. That is if everything goes perfect...ha! Derek has been SUPER-DAD throughout this process. He is the one who gets the babies undressed, changes diapers, gives the first one to me, keeps the second one calm, burps the first one, puts the first one back to sleep, waits for the second one to finish, and then burps and puts back to sleep. The process is very tiring and time consuming, but we feel that it is very beneficial and are planning to do it as long as the twins are growing. Witwh the twins eating every three hours, we get approximately two hour periods to sleep, eat, shower, do laundry, and everything else in the house. Makes for an interesting day! Especially when we have doctors appointments or other things to do in between! The babies are doing good nursing...we have had to make some adjustments to make sure both babies are gaining, but we seem to be moving in the right direction. They have their two week check-up on Wednesday so we will see where we are at that point!

First baths!

Adelyn Marie
The twins are SO different! I thought I would tell you a little about each one. Miss Adelyn came into this world weighing 5 lbs 11 oz and measured 19 and a half inches. I didn't get to see her right away, but she did make a couple of little squaks before they cleared her lungs. After that, she started her little "grunting" noises which she has not stopped making since she came out! Sounds like a little piggie! She is so much more verbal than Tucker, making noise ALL the time. She loves to curl up in a little ball, probably because she was SO smushed inside me by her brother! She is the girl of facial expressions and usually has us cracking up with her sideways grin! She LOVES her daddy and likes to snuggle up with him when going to sleep. She also loves her brother and the two of them like to be right beside each other when they sleep. She is our sweet, sweet little girl and we think she is the most BEAUTIFUL girl we have ever seen!

Miss Personality
Melts our hearts!
Tucker Rope
Our Tucker boy came into this world at 9:11 weighing 5 lbs 4 oz and measured 18 inches. I got to see him right away and first noticed his long legs and arms. He has the longest fingers and toes too! He cried right away and when they laid him on the table to clean him up, he immediately stretched out his arms and legs as far as they could go!!! Exactly what he did inside me too! He likes to have his arms over his head "praising Jesus" as we call it and loves to kick his legs. He is much quieter and calmer than sister girl, unless he is hungry! As soon as he is hungry...he lets you know about it! He is a much quicker eater than sister, who likes to play more than she eats...haha! He is gaining weight well and has already grown another inch. He is very serious with his facial expressions...often wrinkling his forehead in the cutest way. Mommy calls him her little spider monkey because he is so little with these long arms and legs. We LOVE him to death and think he is just PERFECT!!!
Precious boy!
Our Lives
Our lives changed completely in the matter of two minutes when these two were born. We love them SO much and I honestly can't remember what life was like before them! We are enjoying every minute...even the hard ones...and praying continually for guidance and patience as we learn our new roles as parents. We pray daily for patience with each other and that God will continue to strengthen our marriage even when sleep is lacking! We are so thankful for our blessings and pray that God will continue to be glorified throughout this process. We pray that people see Tucker and Adelyn as proof of the greatness and faithfulness of our God. We also pray continually for other families going through infertility because we know the pain that they are experiencing. We are currently asking God to use us to help minister to these couples because we have felt their pain. Thankfully, Derek gets to stay home with us for two more weeks to help us all adjust to life at home. He is still responsible for coaching track, and will be going back for track practice and meets throughout the weeks. I have my two-week doctor's appointment on Wednesday, where I will hopefully be released to drive and have a little more freedom. We LOVE that daddy gets to be home and that we get to spend some time as a family of four!

Dad managing the twins...and his coffee!
 

So that's what our last ten days have consisted of! I know people have been anxiously awaiting
pictures and updates but life has been CRAZY! I literally have not had time to do much of anything...and wouldn't have it any other way! I definitely can see some things in my life that will be much less of a priority...like TV. Who has time for that??? But I am going to try to keep blogging updates of these two when I get the chance because I know you guys want to see pictures of your answered prayers. And we kinda like showing them off...haha! Derek said one day that he couldn't believe that we had made them...which I told him I take NO credit for these two...they were 100% made by God. We thank all of YOU so much for your prayers that led us to this point. Please keep praying us on as we try and learn how to do this whole parenting thing! I will try and update again soon! LOVE to all!!!


"THANKS be to God for his indescribable GIFT!" 2 Corinthians 9:15

Love them!



Holding hands!


Daddy telling stories in the morning


Sleeping beauties


We love sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment